Information about the scholarship; The Purpose, The Award, Eligibility Requirements, Determination of Selection, and how to apply. Please read this page if you are interested in this scholarship program.
CENTRAL FLORIDA EPILEPSY SCHOLARSHIP FOUNDATION SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
Purpose: The Central Florida Epilepsy Scholarship Foundation, Inc. (CFEF) is pleased to announce its “Merle Evanchyk” scholarship program and our desire to assist those affected by epilepsy living in our community with his or her pursuit of their goals through higher education. The purpose of this program is to provide financial support for the education of persons affected by epilepsy with a personal diagnosis or that of an immediate family member.
Award: The Central Florida Epilepsy Scholarship Foundation (CFEF) seeks to recognize the personal achievements of those living with epilepsy. The CFEF will offer scholarships ranging from $1,000 – $2,500 for post-secondary education, advanced college education or post-secondary vocational education.
Vision: A recipient of a CFEF “Merle Evanchyk” scholarship will be a person affected by directly epilepsy (either self or direct family member) who shows perseverance in overcoming obstacles that epilepsy may present, courage in dealing with epilepsy, his/her community involvement, their commitment to personal advancement through education and achieving his/her personal goals.
- Must provide proof of being a legal resident of the United States and residing in one of the following Central Florida Counties: Orange, Seminole, Osceola or Brevard.
- Must personally have received a diagnosis of epilepsy confirmed by a physician statement.
- Must be a high school senior, high school graduate or higher seeking an associate’s, undergraduate, or graduate degree or an education from a not-for-profit vocational school.
- When an award is granted the recipient must provide proof of acceptance to a post-secondary academic or a not-for profit vocational program or proof of enrollment.
- Must submit a minimum of two letters of recommendation. Letters of recommendation may not be from a family member and should address the person’s academic potential, achievement potential, and their potential to be an ambassador for epilepsy awareness, the Epilepsy Association of Central Florida and the Central Florida Epilepsy Scholarship Foundation.
- Must submit a maximum of 500 words essay.
DETERMINATION OF SELECTION
Recipients will be determined by the sole discretion of an independent Board of Directors of the CFEF, Inc. and any appointed outside panel members based on several factors:
- Strength of essay.
- Strength of letters of recommendation.
- Strength of career goals.
- Past achievements.
- How applicant has overcome obstacles related to epilepsy.
- Financial need.
Note: Awards will be based on the quality of applications through a competitive scoring system that balances need with achievement. Please also note that the CFEF also takes in to consideration an applicant’s epilepsy when weighing accomplishments and academics. If you are a person with epilepsy we do understand that you may have experienced some limitations. NO person needs to fear applying.
HOW TO APPLY
Thank you for your interest in the Central Florida Epilepsy Scholarship Foundation’s “Merle Evanchyk” Scholarship Program. Sections of the application will need to be completed by the student, a parent/guardian (if applicant is under 18), school official, member of the community or member of the applicant’s healthcare team. Awards are granted for the Fall, Spring and Summer. Applications to be considered must be submitted by:
Fall applications must be received by August 15th
Spring applications by November 15th
Summer applications by March 15th.
You may download the application and mail it back along with all supporting documents required or complete the application online and upload the required documents.
Download Pdf application HERE or click button to apply online.APPLY ONLINE
Questions of inquiry may be directed to:
Charles F. Carmen, Executive Director
407-422-1416 ext. 101 or toll-free 1-866-864-1416 ext. 101
Our Commitment to you: (All information provided to the CFEF will be held in the strictest of confidence.)
Submit a completed application and all required supporting documents to:
Central Florida Epilepsy Scholarship Foundation, Inc.
c/o The Epilepsy Association of Central Florida, Inc.
109 North Kirkman Road
Orlando, Florida 32811